What does it mean to notarize a document?

To notarize a document is to certify or attest to the validity of a signature on the given document as a Notary Public. This may seem like a simple matter, but this service is not limited to simply witnessing a signature. A Notary Public can attest to the validity of your signature on many different types of documents, including statutory declarations, affidavits, travel consent letters for minor children, certified true copies of documents, authentications of international documents, and letters of invitation for foreign travel.

What do I do if I need something notarized?

Please contact my office to make an appointment. We will discuss the document with you to determine whether it needs to be notarized or whether it can merely be witnessed by a neutral third party. There are some documents which Notaries are not permitted to witness, such as Separation Agreements. You may also drop by our office, but if we are currently helping another client, you may have to wait until we are free to assist you. Please ensure that you bring two pieces of identification with you to your appointment. One piece must be government issued photo identification (such as a driver’s licence, passport or BCID) and the other can be a Social Insurance Card, BC Care Card or major credit card. Please DO NOT sign the document prior to your appointment. You must appear personally before me and sign the document in my presence.

Do I need a certified true copy of a document?

If you are required to provide a document to someone, but you wish to keep the original in your possession, you may wish to have a certified true copy made. In order for me to make a certified true copy of a document I MUST review the original document. I will then make a copy and affix a stamp to it indicating that it is a certified true copy of the original. Please contact my office to make an appointment to have your document certified. You may also drop in as long as you don’t mind waiting if I am currently with a client. Please do not forget to bring the original document with you to my office.

Need assistance? I have expertise in the following areas…

  • Affidavits for All Documents required at a Public Registry within BC
  • Executor Affidavits on Probate Applications
  • Authorization of Minor Child Travel
  • Certified True Copies of Documents
  • Execution/Authentications of International Documents
  • Insurance Loss Declarations
  • Letters of Invitation for Foreign Travel
  • Notarizations/Attestations of Signatures
  • Proof of Identity for Travel Purposes
  • Statutory Declarations

If you have questions, I have answers. Please don’t hesitate to contact me.